October 1945 – 1950, Ramsauerstrasse/Uhlandstrasse
After the liberation Jewish Displaced Persons are housed in the Bindermichl camp – Jews freed from the concentration camps. They wait there for visas for countries of immigration, above all for the USA and Palestine.
The group of Jewish displaced persons (DPs) consisted of former concentration camp prisoners and refugees from the post-war pogroms in Eastern Europe. Among the Eastern European DPs there were also former Nazi collaborators, making it impossible for the Jewish DPs to live together with them. Thus the allies established separate camps for Jewish DPs, most of whom were waiting for the opportunity to emigrate to Palestine, the USA or Canada. In Linz three large camps for Jewish DPs were established: in Ebelsberg, in Bindermichl and in Wegscheid. From October 1945 on the so-called “Hitlerbauten [Hitler buildings]” served as the Bindermichl camp.
The inhabitants organised a lively cultural life: there were various cultural and religious organisations, further education and training courses, a camp repair garage and a big band. On top of this they also produced newspapers, “Ojfgang [Rise]” and “Unzer Ziel [Our Aims]”, that were also distributed in other DP camps in Austria. And, by no means last, the Bindermichl camp was where the “Jüdische Historische Kommission [Jewish Historical Commission]” was founded which was concerned with documenting Nazi crimes. Later Simon Wiesenthal’s Jewish Historical Documentation Centre was to grow out of this.