1942 – 1945, Dauphinestraße
In the spinning factory in Kleinmünchen there is one of six camps in Linz for “workers from the East”: in 1944 51% of the “Eastern workers” are women.
When one talks about forced labour during the Nazi period it is usually male forced labourers that spring to mind. It is a fact that during the first years of the war it was mainly male prisoners of war who were used as forced labour. But as of 1942 conscription was used in Eastern Europe. In the course of this an increasing number of young women were deported to the “German Reich”.
For example, in 1942 1,662 women arrived in Linz as “Eastern workers” compared to 9556 men. In May 1944 of the 34,000 registered “Eastern workers” in the “Oberdonau” region, 51% were women. These “Eastern workers” were numerically there largest group of foreign workers in Linz. They were used in heavy industry, agriculture or in building projects. Their recruitment took place in Poland, Ukraine and the Soviet Union using a mixture of incentives, pressure and terror.
Initially there were also a small number of voluntary registrations – the Germans promised them bread and good treatment. However, when reports of the real situation – lack of food, bad wages, living in barracks, hard work – became known, almost no-one else volunteered. This is why the occupiers switched to conscription and deported young women and men of around 15 and above.