Rathaus [Town Hall] (12.3.1938)
After German troops invaded Austria, Adolf Hitler visited “the city of his youth”. While tens of thousands of people cheered him on the main square, opponents of the Nazis were already being imprisoned, beaten and murdered.
Rathaus [Town Hall] (1.1.1944)
Franz Langoth is appointed mayor. The myth of his efforts to bring about the surrender of Linz without a fight lasts long after 1945. It is based mainly on falsified reports.
Rathaus [Town Hall] (1939)
Officials of the Voting and Population Registration Office compile a list of “racial Jews”. They provide the basis for the racist persecution of the Jewish citizens of Linz.
Deep-seated anti-Semitism is revealed during the carnival procession: the malicious caricaturing of Jews by dressed-up inhabitants of Linz attracts particular applause.
Nibelungenbrücke (June 1938 – Summer 1940)
Part of the building material for the Nibelungen Bridge is granite quarried in the nearby Mauthausen concentration camp under extremely brutal conditions.
16 Hauptstraße (19.3.1938)
Alexander, Eduard and Friederike Spitz, owners of the wine merchant’s business of Ferihumer, commit suicide. During this period other Jewish people also see suicide as the only way out.
6-8 Rudolfstraße (1938 – 1942)
The property of the M. family is “Aryanised” and taken over by Franz Peterseil, the district inspector of the NSDAP. He was the M.’s former chauffeur. 99 year-old Leopold M. is deported to Theresienstadt.
18 Rudolfstraße (1941 – 1945)
As head of the Department of Labour Deployment, Franz Tschaff also filled work orders for slave labourers. The city’s Department of Public Works used concentration camp prisoners to build air raid shelters.
Altstadt 3 (1941)
Eleven year-old Pauline H. reports the neighbours for listening to enemy radio. One victim of the denunciation, Josefa F., was sentenced to one year in prison.
12 Altstadt (21.5.1938)
Hans A. attends the second year class in the primary school in Kleinmünchen. In May he has to go to the newly opened “Jewish School” in the old town. It is closed following the November pogrom.
Landhaus [Provincial Government Building] (February 1945)
The member of the provincial government, Adolf Dietscher, forms a “Volksturm” [territorial army] unit to pursue around 500 Soviet prisoners of war who have escaped from Mauthausen concentration camp – the so-called “Mühlviertl
Landhaus [Provincial Government Building] (1944)
Elmira Koref unsuccessfully applies to Gauleiter Eigruber to have her imprisoned husband released. Ernst Koref is appointed mayor by the American occupying forces on the 7th of May 1945.
Corner of Hauptplatz/Schmidtorgasse (15.3.1938)
The Kraus & Schober department store is attacked in Nazi propaganda as a symbol of “Jewish profiteering”. It is “Aryanised” for the benefit of the NSDAP. The previous owner commits suicide in Dachau concentration camp.
18-20 Landstraße (1942 – 1943)
The petty thief Alois G. steals a bicycle from outside a pub called “Zur Goldenen Kanone”. He is caught. Convicted as a “pest within the Volksgemeinschaft [national community]”, he is sentenced to death and executed.
30 Graben (15.3.1938)
In a newspaper announcement dental technician Heinrich S. contradicts the accusation that he is a Jew. After the “Anschluss” many businessmen like him make public declarations that their enterprises are “Aryan”.
8 Marienstraße (April 1945)
Anton A. is departmental head of the city administration and criticises the execution of two female “Eastern workers” for the theft of milk as being inhuman. He is sentenced to death and shot.
31 Landstraße (1940/41)
Sister Kamilla throws a pair of woollen socks to a French prisoner of war from the window of the convent. She is sentenced to 4 weeks in prison.
Ursulinenhof (April 1945)
Stefanie L., paramedic aide for the Wehrmacht, is waiting in the Ursulinenhof Wehrmacht prison for her trial for being absent without leave. She is sentenced to 6 months in prison.
49 Landstraße (1939 – 1944)
Oskar H., president of the Chamber of Trade and Industry, is responsible for the “Ayranisation” of Jewish businesses. As an “Ayraniser” he also enriched himself.
6-10 Mozartstraße (1941)
The maid Katharina G. is waiting in police detention for her trial for having a sexual relationship with a French prisoner of war. She is sentenced to one year in prison.
3 Bischofstraße (1914 – 1933)
It is here that Adolf Eichmann spends his childhood. During the Nazi regime he organises the deportation of the Jewish population. He carries part of the responsibility for the murder of around 6 million people.
7 Bischofstraße (18.3.1938)
Lawyer Karl Schwager, Chairman of the Jewish Community, is arrested shortly after the “Anschluss”. He is released on condition that he leaves the country. In 1939 he emigrates to Palestine.
19 Herrenstraße (1943)
Franz Jägerstätter seeks the advice of Bishop Fließer – he finds it impossible to reconcile military service for Hitler with his faith. Jägerstätter is executed on the 9th of August 1943 as a conscientious objector.
5 Spittelwiese (12.3.1938)
On the day of the “Anschluss” the Nazis take over the Gutenberg Printing Company and change its name to “NS-Druckerei und Verlag Linz [NS Printing and Publishing House Linz]”. On the 13th of March the first edition of the Nazi propaganda paper “Arbeitersturm [Workers’ Storm]” is published.
Landestheater [Provincial Theatre] (September 1944)
33 employees of the Landestheater [Provincial Theatre] – actors, musicians and stage hands – are pressed into overseeing concentration camp prisoners in the Mauthausen subcamps in Linz.
Landestheater [Provincial Theatre] Linz (1943 – 1945)
Franz Léhar’s “The Land of Smiles” is a box office success. The Jewish librettist of the piece, Fritz Beda-Löhner, remains uncredited. He was murdered in Auschwitz on the 4th of December 1942.
7 Klammstraße (25.9.1944)
Camilla E. helps prisoners of war with food and clothing. She disseminates prophesies about the impending end of the Third Reich. An anonymous report leads to her arrest and execution.
Subcamp Linz II, Märzenkeller (February 1944 – April 1945)
Around 250 prisoners from the Mauthausen subcamp Linz II are employed in building air-raid shelters and defusing unexploded bombs after air raids.
“Temple of Aphrodite” in Bauernberg Park (1942)
Aphrodite is encased by art students in May 2008 as a reminder that it was a present from Hitler to the City of Linz. As a result the municipal authorities remove the statue.
11 Stockbauerstraße (August 1938)
Hermann S. is a lawyer and was a member of the Social Democratic Party and district councillor until 1934. His villa is confiscated by the Gau (regional) authorities and sold to Johanna Eigruber, the wife of the Gauleiter (regional governor).
12 Robert Stolz Straße (1939 – 1944)
Ida B., a Jew, flees from Ukraine and works as a housekeeper for an SS-Sturmbannführer under an alias. In 1944 she is arrested and deported to Auschwitz.
Main Railway Station (16th June 1938)
Upper Austrian politicians and intellectuals who were opponents of the regime are brutally mistreated by SS guards and deported to Dachau.
Main Railway Station (1941)
Two lions are commissioned by the Nazi regime from stonemason Jakob Adelhart in Hallein. In 1999, after a discussion, the Linz city council declares them ideologically innocuous.
Together with other apprentices Eduard C. builds up a communist resistance cell within the German National Railway. It distributes anti-fascist leaflets and carries out acts of sabotage.
150 Wiener Straße (October – November 1945)
This is where the “hair cutting squad”, comprising hundreds of former Hitler Youth, meets every Saturday to threaten women who allegedly have close contact with American soldiers.
545-549 Wiener Straße (1938)
Units of the SS “Death’s Head” regiments used to guard the Mauthausen concentration camp are housed in the newly-built barracks. From 1940 on it will serve as a transit camp and after 1945 as camp “Star of David” for Jewish
Dauphinestraße (1942 – 1945)
In the spinning factory in Kleinmünchen there is one of six camps in Linz for “workers from the East”: in 1944 51% of the “Eastern workers” are women.
Gisela T. is arrested in 1944 as a member of the communist resistance. A few days before the end of the war she is shot here in the Schörgenhub “work re-education camp”.
Ramsauerstrasse/Uhlandstrasse (October 1945 – 1950)
After the liberation Jewish Displaced Persons are housed in the Bindermichl camp – Jews freed from the concentration camps. They wait there for visas for countries of immigration, above all for the USA and Palestine.
Siedlung Spallerhof [Housing Estate] / Muldenstraße (1938 – 1945)
New housing is built for armaments industry workers. In order to be allocated housing, applicants have to submit to a “racial hygiene examination”.
10 Niedernharter Straße (1938 – 1945)
In the local authority sanatorium and mental hospital around 800 mentally or physically handicapped patients are classified as “unworthy of life” and brutally murdered.
Katzenau, the old stockyard used by the Kerndlbacher family. (1938)
Rosa W. is arrested here because she is a Sintiza. In the Maxglan camp Leni Riefenstahl selects her as a film extra. After attempting to escape she is put in Ravensbrück concentration camp. In 1945 she made a successful escape.
9 Krankenhausstraße (May 1943 – May 1945)
During this period at least 972 compulsory abortions are carried out in either the Linz General Hospital or the Regional Women’s Clinic. The victims are mainly “workers from the East”.
40 Kaplanhofstraße (1944 – 1945)
Regular transports of political opponents leave Kaplanhof Women’s Prison for various concentration camps such as Ravensbrück.
74 Untere Donaulände (1944)
Josef T. forms a communist resistance group in the tobacco factory. On the orders of the regional governor he, along with others, is shot in the Mauthausen concentration camp shortly before it is liberated.
Donaulände (April 1945)
During the death marches thousands of concentration camp prisoners arrive in Linz on barges to be force-marched on to the Ebensee concentration camp. Many die on the way.
Donaulände/ 6 Zollamtstraße (13.3.1938)
After the “Anschluss” Jewish people are violently attacked. In Café Olympia Ernst S. is mistreated and then arrested to the accompaniment of applause from a large crowd.
20 Lederergasse (1943)
The teacher Hermine L. writes a number of letters that were critical of the regime to her brother Walter who is a soldier stationed in Vienna. Both were sentenced to death and executed.
14 Museumstraße (1941 – 1945)
Stolen art forms the basis for a new art museum planned by Hitler. Heinrich J. Sch., Head of the Department of Art History at the Landesmuseum [Provincial Museum], is active in building up the collection.
12 Museumstraße (April 1944)
Anna H. insults Hitler and blaims him for the war. She is sentenced to 3 years imprisonment in Linz. The Reich Court in Berlin increases the sentence to 5 years.
12 Museumstraße (4.12.1940)
The 68 year-old Jehovah’s Witness Rosa P. is sentenced to 6 months prison for her beliefs and for “subverting the armed forces”.
12 Museumstraße (September 1938)
Franziska K. is denounced by her neighbour. The possession of nude photographs is decisive for her conviction as a homosexual: she serves 4 months “intensified” imprisonment.
4 Fadingerstraße (1913 – 1921)
Ernst Kaltenbrunner attends secondary school here. In 1943 he is made head of the Central Office for Reich Security. He carries a major part of the responsibility for the murder of 6 million Jews.
26 Bethlehemstraße (9./10.11.1938)
During the night a unit of the SA forces its way into the Linz synagogue and sets it on fire. The fire brigade only concerns itself with preventing the flames from spreading to neighbouring buildings.
Hessenplatz (1944 – 1945)
After air raids the clean-up squads left from here. They consisted of forced labourers, civilian workers and concentration camp prisoners.
13 Langgasse (1938 – 1945)
In the Gestapo headquarters thousands of opponents of the Nazi regime are brutally tortured. Franz Stangl’s career begins here. He will later organise mass murders in the Sobibor and Treblinka extermination camps.
7 Wurmstraße (1939 – 1945)
Using the guidelines on Nazi “heredity and race welfare”, the public health authorities of Linz decide to carry out around 1000 compulsory sterilisations, as well as prohibiting marriages and combatting “asocial” elements.
11 Wurmstraße (1940)
The Nazi Youth and Welfare Office boasts of the high quota of “asocials” being sent to work and forced labour camps. The head, Rudolf H., remains a highly placed civil servant after 1945.
21 Gesellenhausstraße (1936 – 1938)
Stefan Sch. is a fanatical Nazi right from the outset, and responsible for the production and distribution of the banned, anti-Semitic Nazi smearsheet “Der Österreichische Beobachter” before the “Anschluss”.
14 Volksgartenstraße (June 1938)
The director of the Institute for the Blind, Johann Gruber, is arrested for making anti-Nazi statements, sentenced to 3 years in prison and murdered in Gusen concentration camp in 1944.
18 Volksgartenstraße (1938 – 1945)
The Nazi Women’s League in the Oberdonau region has a membership of 83,000. Maria Sch., head of the Nazi Women’s League and member of the NSDAP from 1932, is sentenced to three years in prison in 1948.
Franz M. is sentenced to one year in prison for making sexual advances to a soldier. After that he is transferred to Dachau and murdered in Majdanek in 1944.
1 Schillerplatz (March 1938)
The Kolosseum Cinema is leased out by its Jewish owner in order to prevent it being “Aryanised”. A former employee blows the whistle on the attempted camouflage.
26 Schillerstraße (9.3.1942)
In the “Zum Waldhorn” pub Eleonore B. shouts angrily: “Because of that fucking Führer we don’t have any bread”. Men at the regulars’ table report her. She is sentenced to 14 months imprisonment.
63 Goethestraße (Summer 1945 – 1954)
With the authorisation of the American occupying forces Simon Wiesenthal, Mauthausen concentration camp survivor, tracks down Nazi war criminals for the Jewish Historical Commission. His position: “justice, not revenge”.